Sunday, July 13, 2014

Journal entry #18

The Big Spring,

This is a place that I hold very dear to my heart. I am partial to this place because I associate it with family. I remember having our family reunions here as a child. We would get the entire family together and take our lawn chairs and rent the pavilion there for a couple days. Everyone in the family would cook that special dish that they were famous for and we would have a cook out. We would walk down by the water, which is the biggest spring in the world. Millions of gallons of water would pump out of that spring on any given day. I always remember the days being so hot and just longing to jump in the water there. You are not able to swim in the spring though. Such a tease for the kids for sure. We would gather around in a big circle and just talk and visit, because none of us lived very close. My grandmother was the glue of the family, and we always tried to get together at least once a year for the family get- together. I just remember one in particular. My grandma was getting up in age and I had my daughter, she was probably about 4 years old. We would just sit by her and listen to her talk. Maybe we all knew this would be the last time we would be together before she died. I don't know but I can see this day so vividly. I remember helping her get her plate and holding on to her arm so she wouldn't fall. She had a bad back and had fallen several times. I just remember her asking me when I was going to have more kids. I told her that I wasn't sure and she just smiled. I do know that about 3 weeks after she died I found out I was pregnant with my second child. I really miss Gen Parks and wish she would have had the opportunity to meet the rest of my children. She would absolutely adore the other two, just like she loved my first. Things are so different these days and I know that some of the advice that I could get from her would be helpful for all involved.

Warm breezes on our faces, hot sun beaming down, the cool grass on our feet under the shade trees, the water droplets falling on our legs from the beads of sweat falling from our glasses of coke.
Hearing the rushing water coming out of the spring, the birds in the trees, the laughter of the kids playing in the sunshine, the falling of walnuts on the ground, the screams of little ones as they fall and skin their knees, the idle chatter and laughter of the adults reliving child hood memories.
I smell the hamburgers cooking on the grill, the waft of potato salad as the lid is popped off getting ready for our big meal, I smell the hint of bug spray to keep those pesky creatures from making us their dinner, I smell sunblock, I smell the river water, and crisp smell of water that rushes from the spring as it feeds the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment