Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Journal Entry #6

I have been thinking of my Grandmother a lot these last few days. She was an amazing woman who meant a lot to me. I was telling a friend at work today that she has been gone for 19 years this year, actually I was wrong, it's been 20 years this year. She was a mother of 8 children and great cook. I was thinking I might share one of her recipes that she made around the holiday season. I will give you the ingredients, and share with you how I make them, because she seldom measured anything.
Peanut Butter Balls:

One jar of peanut butter.... any brand that you like... crunchy or creamy
One stick of margarine....
One Bag of Powdered Sugar....
A box of Rice Crispy Cereal...... Or the off brand works well too
Almond Bark..... I always get the White and the Dark......


In a large bowl melt all peanut butter and margarine together for about 45 sec. Stir really well and melt again for about 35 sec. Mix till all is mixed together.
Start slow and add rice crispies. make sure that they are all coated. Add until still moist but can still fully cover the treats.
Very slowly add the powdered sugar and stir between adding more. This mixture is the tricky part. Keep adding till you can form balls with the mixture. Needs to be mostly dry, but still moist enough for the balls to stay together.
Make up all the mixture into about 1/2 inch balls and set aside.
I always use a glass pie plate to melt the chocolate bark in microwave 1/2 the bark at a time. Usually takes a min. Then stir and melt again in necessary.
Drop several of the balls in the chocolate and coat well. Place them either on wax paper or foil till dry. I put them in a holiday container with a lid and put in refrigerator.
You can get creative and melt some white chocolate bark and drizzle the top if you like.

Be very careful, These are very addicting and you might eat several. You will have to pace yourself.
I am very reluctant to share, just because in the past, people will ask you to make them and want them all the time.

This is a very easy recipe, but it does take a while to make....Just depends on how tired you get towards the end.. My son helps me and we end up at the end of it with a much wad of peanut butter mixture. :)
Hope everyone enjoys making these. Glad I could share

No comments:

Post a Comment